Top picks for a 5000 lb forklift, 6000 lb, and 10,000 lb forklift
Selecting a forklift or lift truck for your business isn’t hard, it just takes a little insight related to your weight requirements. Do you routinely haul heavy pallets around a warehouse? Do you have overhead racks where you store your merchandise?
These factors impact the lift you’ll eventually purchase or lease. But we’ve taken some of the guesswork out of your comparison shopping by stacking up two of the top manufacturers – Clark and CAT – and selecting one unit from each major weight capacity: 5,000, 6,000 and 10,000 lbs. Here’s how they compare.
5,000 lb. forklift options
- CAT 5000 lb Capacity LP Gas Cushion Tire - EPA-compliant to meet the current emissions regulations, this CAT 5000 lb forklift includes advanced functionalities like ground speed control, allowing you to limit the lift’s speed without affecting performance. Plus, the cost-saving design promotes extended service intervals – up to 500 hours – to save money and enhance productivity.
- CLARK 5000 lb Capacity LP Gas Cushion Tire – Featuring a load-sensing flow control valve to reduce heat build-up and keep the lift performing at its peak, this sturdy gas-powered 5000 lb forklift includes an advanced hydraulic system, controlled lowering that operates independent of engine speed and a foot-applied brake that can be released by hand or foot. The Clark LP also includes a high-performance Hyundai Theta LPG engine that produces 70 HP and 140 ft-lbs of torque at 1,600 rpm.
6,000 lb. forklift options
- CAT 6000 lb Capacity LP Gas Cushion Tire – In this 6000 lb forklift, CAT’s innovation is on full display with the inclusion of their STR (short turning radius) functionality, a feature that uses extra-heavy, lead-filled counterweights to allow for greater maneuverability when turning as well as an extended range of rear visibility. Plus, it includes a unique underbelly screen, helping to block debris, dust and other large particles present on the floor from clogging the radiator and overheating the lift.
- CLARK GEN2 C20-series LPG 6000 lb – This 6000 lb forklift is designed to counteract user-error (read: ‘idiot-proof’) with a transmission that disengages when the parking brake is set to prevent driving against the brakes. This model also includes heavy-duty, welded steel plating that safeguards the engine and hydraulics from impact damage, extending the life of the truck. In addition, it includes an integral hydraulic sump with remote breather to keep those hydraulics cool even during extended use or heavy operation.
10,000 lb. forklift options
- CAT 10000 lb Capacity LP Gas Cushion Tire – This 10000 lb forklift features extra-heavy, lead-filled counterweights for ease of maneuverability. It has been designed for a range of lifting uses, and includes a 4-position pressure regulator that allows the operator to quickly change clamping force to prevent damaging fabrics, glass, paper rolls and other fragile loads. In addition, it includes a mast-leveling system that halts the mast in a vertical position when lowering rolled items, enabling you to set them down flat.
- CLARK 10000 lb CGC40/70-series Internal Combustion Cushion Tire Lift Truck – Manufactured to keep uptime to a maximum, this Clark 10000 lb forklift includes an auto shutdown feature that halts operation in the event of excessive engine coolant, high transmission oil temperature or low engine oil pressure. In doing so, you protect your investment by removing the risk of operator error. The heavy-duty design also extends to the frame, with welded steel plates that deflect potential damage caused by impacts.